Sunday, September 28, 2008

Compiling Sphinx in Ubuntu

I had just watched Ryan Bates' screencast on Sphinx and I wanted to install it on Ubuntu. Took me a while to find out how, so here are my instructions. I'm on Ubuntu 8.04

1. Download the latest realease. It's 0.9.8 as of writing.
2. Install it with their instructions. I ran into a problem though - I have MySQL already but not the files Sphinx needs to install. If you ran into this problem, continue:
3. In console, type:

mysql_config --cflags

That will tell you the package you need to install.
4. Mine was libmysqlclient15-dev:

sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev

5. Try installing Sphinx again, it should work this time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The link 'their instructions' does not work - it points to some local file at your computer.

Anonymous said...

please can you fix it that link.. i really need that.
thanks

Ramon said...

Hello.. I do not have a link in "their instructions", but what I meant was that you follow the instructions in the sphinx website.

Anonymous said...

The instructions referenced are part of the sphinx download. Once you extract the .tar.gz, open doc/sphinx.html

But yeah, linking to a file URL...not so helpful.

CHIEF said...

The broken link everyone is looking for, can be found inside the .tar ball. Extract and inside a folder named Doc. Then open the sphinx.html file.